***  Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://dowire.org ***
***  Headlines from top blogs: http://dowire.org/feeds ***

There is a good article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune today about
top local public servants like a city manager and a police chief with
their own blogs.

It just so happens that Griff Wigley <http://wigleyandassociates.com>
who is working on <http://readmyday.co.uk/blogs/> (I'm the middle man
on this one for the UK government :-)) and Scott Neal
<http://edenprairieweblogs.org/html/scott_neal.html> are in the UK
right now on a weblogging in local government tour.  You'll be
missing out if you don't check out their weblogs - they really bring
you along.

As the StarTribune notes, the small town of Northfield, Minnesota is
a local blogging boomtown <http://www.northfield.org>. The long time
volunteer project Northfield Citizens Online and Griff Wigley are at
its epicenter.  In fact, a case study is in the works
<http://dowire.org/wiki/Community_Blogging> and yesterday I produced
a "web movie" <http://dowire.org/media/cases/cblogging.html> with
audio commentary yesterday.  The Northfield case demonstrates the
power of distributed input and aggregation (blogs, event calendars)
when combined with non-partisan community content/journalism and
local online discussions.

Cheers,
Steven Clift
http://dowire.org

From:

Local officials blogging for readers far and wide
Bill McAuliffe,  Star Tribune
February 22, 2005 BLOG0222

Not long ago it might have been hard to find out what's been ailing
the Northfield police chief, or where the Eden Prairie city manager
was going on a midwinter getaway, or the latest redevelopment efforts
in Rosemount.

But now there are Web logs. And around the metro area, some elected
and appointed officials are blogging away, maintaining Internet
diaries that often go well beyond the quarterly constituent
newsletter.

"It just seems like a few years ago that my son Chris graduated from
a training bike to the 'big kid' bike," wrote Northfield Police Chief
Gary Smith on his blog for Feb. 13, describing how his son was now
learning to drive a car. Within days of that posting, Smith, who said
he spends several hours of his own time each day freshening up his
site, also had "blogged" about other topics.

"It's not just Northfield folks reading it," Smith added. "It's
people around the world."

Indeed, this burgeoning official blogging is receiving broad notice.
Eden Prairie City Manager Scott Neal is one of several local public
affairs bloggers meeting with elected officials in England this week
to discuss the ins and outs of nearly daily and instantaneous
communication between people and their government. Citizens of Eden
Prairie and the world can read all about the trip at
www.edenprairieweblogs.org and click on Scott Neal's Web log.

"I think there has been an increasing disconnect between local
government and its citizens," Neal said from Eden Prairie last week.
"I look at this Web log as a way to personalize the city to its
citizens and generate a higher level of empathy.

"If we could truly communicate to citizens the kinds of issues we're
dealing with, and how we have to sometimes split the baby, I think
citizens would be impressed by the government they receive at the
local level."

Neal said he views his Web log as a way to supplement what he can
communicate in local newspapers and what's on the city's official
websites. It also lets him receive direct responses. Between January
2003, and last month, Neal's computer counted 2,242 visitors to his
blog compared to 235 one year ago, a nearly tenfold increase. Among
his readers are journalists looking for ideas.

In Eden Prairie, Neal, Police Chief Dan Carlson and Fire Chief George
Esbensen all have blogs. The Rosemount community development director
blogs about downtown redevelopment. Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak
launched a blog recently in tandem with his reelection campaign.

A Northfield boom

See:

Steven L. Clift    -   -  -  W: http://publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -  -   E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -   - T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -       MSN/Y!/AIM: netclift

UK Office Hours - 1pm - 11pm  -   -  T:  0870.340.1266
Join my Democracies Online Newswire: http://dowire.org