*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

Whew, this story is sparking some interest.  Ted Koppel brought it up last
night in the Nader/Ventura Townhall on Nightline an it was a top side cover
story in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

My basic take is that the story will have a much greater influence on the
vote than actual use of these sites.  It builds awareness of the electoral
college and the fact that it doesn't hurt Gore in Bush solid states to vote
Nader and in swing states a Nader vote is a pretty big deal.  As long as no
money exchanges hands and the vote swapping remains voluntary, I think this
is a free speech and freedom of association Internet-era activity.  Vote
swapping is a form of multi-state vote cancelling.  Think of this way, you
and your housemate or spouse get in a political argument, out of spite you
decide to cancel their vote by voting against their candidate.  If this
form of communication isn't illegal, how can you tell someone that they
can't communicate with someone else voluntarily and voluntarily allow it
influence themselves in the voting booth?  Vote trading might be unethical
and a stupid thing for any political organization to promote overt or
covertly, but that does not mean you should restrict group communication on
the Internet.  Online political speech and association should not be more
regulated than legal pornography.

Below are three posts - one from Thom Wysong, another from the Voting
Integrity Project, and finally the real story about the Internet and last
minute citizen-to-citizen election influence.  I am getting handful of cc:
messages everyday on this whole Nader/Gore thing - from _individuals_ e-
mailing their friends as well as random e-mail online petitions.  Having
just thrown a dart at the board ;-) it tells me that 95 percent of all
online political group communication occurs privately among friends and
family - in social networks via E-MAIL.  In the last week of the election
don't be surprised if the e-mail masses have a great "politics online
moment" that greatly influences the soft Nader/Bush/Gore/Other supporters
and perhaps gets a few remaining undecideds to choose a candidate because
X,Y,Z friends e-mail (tell) them to do so.

Cheers,
Steven Clift
Democracies Online