*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:13:40 +0100
From: "Crabtree, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

---------------
VOXPOLITICS IS COMING
* How will the Internet be used in the 2001 general election?
* Will tactical on-line vote swapping be any more successful here than it
was in the US?
* Could results be challenged if on-line campaigners accidentally break
election laws?

VoxPolitics <http://www.voxpolitics.com> will track
the debate and analyse the UK's on-line election battle (if there is one).
Its first initiative will be the launch of the VoxPolitics Primer for
on-line campaigning, being emailed free on request to every Parliamentary
candidate. Want to know more? Join us for a celebratory drink to mark the
launch:

When: Thursday 26th April, 5.30-6.30pm
Where: The Stationery Office Bookshop, 123 Kingsway, WC1 - Holborn tube

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHETHER YOU'LL BE COMING BY E-MAILING [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OR CALL TAMARA FLETCHER ON 01273 267173.

Backed by leading think tanks the IPPR and SMF, as well as by The Stationery
Office, publishers of official information. VoxPolitics is the brainchild of
a group of on-line journalists, political researchers and policy people,
headed by Dan Jellinek, James Crabtree, Phil Cain and Tom Steinberg.

As we are all, in one way or another, researching the impact of ICT, I
thought it might be a good idea to try and find a way to share some
information. To this end I'd like to invite you all to join the ICT Policy
and Research Wire, or ICTWIRE for short. Details on how to join below.
Briefly:

The aim of this is to use e-mail to:
- share information, particularily about upcoming conferences, seminars,
speaking opps, etc
- let people know about things you spotted. Research reports from the US,
which are devillishly difficult to here about.Also interesting stuff / news
/ articles in obscure publications.
- promote your own work to others in the group (reasonably, and not too
often mind)
- ask difficult questions which other people might know the answer to.
- create a community of people looking at ICT

The aim of this is not to:
- Spam you endlessly
- Encourage two or three people on the list to have discussions which are
not relevant to everyone else
- shamelessly promote the research I'm doing. No, really, it isn't. The same
is true for you.

The list is open (which means anything you send to it will be seen by
everyone, so be a bit careful). I hope it will be low-volume. It is also
private: I'd like to keep it limited to people with proper research
interests. If you know of other people working in this area, let them know
about. I'd like to get anyone who is doing research in this area on board.

That being said, if you would like to be part of it, then go to
http://ictwire.listbot.com/ and sign in. If you aren't on any other Listbots
you will have to fill in a couple of other questions. From then on any
e-mails sent to the group will go to your e-mail.

Best,

James

In the spirit of the ICTWire I thought I'd give a starter for 10 with some
interesting events happening soon that you may not know about. Drop me a
line for any further info if you want it.

1. Friday. Breakfast Seminar at Law Firm Denton Wilde Sapte featuring a
cracking line-up: internet guru Ester Dyson (ICANN), UK tech whiz kid
Charles Muirhead, and some Venture Capitalist. The topic is "today's
business models, angel investment funds and being a young entrepreneur". Its
part of a monthly series, which have always been good before. Free.

2. Next Wednesday the British Computer Society are holding a seminar with
the title 'E-Business - All Over Now?.  6.15pm for 6.30pm start, 2-3
Bloomsbury Square, London WC1A 2RL. Speakers include: Karl Schneider,
Editor, Computer Weekly; Nigel Hickson,Head of E-Business, CBI
(Confederation of British Industry. Free

3. Two things next thursday. The industrial society is having a seminar on
hypermobility to launch a new publication. This is at lunchtime, at the
Shell building. Also, an organisation I'm starting called Voxpolitics is
launching an internet politics primer at the Stationary Office on Thursday.
Free

4. More distantly, the ICA is having an event on the 8th of May looking at
'Bubble Trouble.com' (spot a theme here?). You have to pay for this though,
even though there events are normally pretty good.
The end

James Crabtree
iSociety
Futures Unit
The Industrial Society
w - 020 7479 2114
e - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
e2 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
m - 07932 690 746
ICQ - ICQ - 99703688
www.indsoc.co.uk/isociety

ICT POLICY AND RESEARCH WIRE - HOW IT WORKS

Joining -go to http://ictwire.listbot.com/ and fill in the sign up box. The
first time you join a ListBot list, you will receive a verification message.
You must first respond to this message before they will start receiving
mail.
Sending a message - e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Alternatively just reply
to someone elses e-mail on the list and it will be sent to the whole group.
Leaving the group - This lists crap. Get me out of here? Go to
http://ictwire.listbot.com/ and unsubscribe.
Looking for old messages - The ICTWire archive will be viewed at the List
Home Page, which is http://ictwire.listbot.com/.

James Crabtree
iSociety
Futures Unit
The Industrial Society
w - 020 7479 2114
e - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
e2 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
m - 07932 690 746
ICQ - ICQ - 99703688
www.indsoc.co.uk/isociety

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***