From:                   "Mary Reid" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                Article about www.edwarddavey.co.uk
Date sent:              Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:12:32 +0100

The biggest swing of the night

The UK parliamentary election campaign lasts for around 4 weeks.  So
how can a candidate make an impact with an election website during
that very short period?  The answer, of course, is to build the e-
campaign on top of the candidate's 'peacetime' site.

Edward Davey (Liberal Democrat) was first elected to Parliament in
1997, beating the sitting MP, but with a tiny majority of 56.  In
June 2001 he transformed that majority into 15,676, gaining 60% of
the vote.  This astonishing result was largely due to his personal
popularity and the hard work of his team.  But his website was hailed
by some as the best by any candidate, and it certainly played a part
in his success.

http://www.edwarddavey.co.uk was first launched, with good local
media coverage, two years ago, after a three month period of
requirements analysis and design prototyping.  The team is small -
two party members with web design and technical skills, the press
officer and Edward Davey himself.   Web design and maintenance are
done for free.

The purpose of the site is to offer a two-way channel of
communication between the MP and his constituents.  He provides news
of his work in the constituency and in Westminster; in return they
can use the many feedback forms to let him know their views on
issues.  A large proportion of his casework now arrives via the site.

The site was designed with a feasible level of maintenance (about one
hour per week) in mind.  Much of the content already exists in
another format, although it is often edited to suit the medium. All
old material remains viewable, so the site has now grown to over 300
pages.

Stringent design criteria were used - the two click rule applies to
all except some follow-on and older material, related links appear on
every page, the site never appears incomplete, key content appears
'above the fold'.  Visually the site conveys a busy professional
image.

In 2000 the site was shortlisted for a prestigious Yell Award.  The
publicity was a real boost, so that by this year it was attracting
more traffic than most other MPs' sites.

For legal reasons, the original site had to be suspended when the
election was called, but the new election site was launched
immediately.  This was much more tightly structured and was fully
integrated with the 'real world' campaign.  As well as offering the
predictable policy and news (and a very popular 'Get to know me'
section) it also encouraged visitors to pledge their vote, to offer
help or to display a poster.  It also helped them to apply for a
postal vote - up to the deadline, at least - or request a lift to the
polling station.

The election site has now been mothballed, but can still be explored
from a link on the homepage of the main site.

Mary Reid
22.6.01
Webmaster : http://www.edwarddavey.co.uk
(Website for Edward Davey, Member of UK Parliament for Kingston and Surbiton)

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***