*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***
*** New!  Discuss Posts - http://e-democracy.org/do/discuss.html ***

The other week I had the opportunity to address staff from 31
parliaments <http://www.eduskunta.fi/ecprd/> across Europe at the
Parliaments on the Net conference in Helsinki.  There is a growing
interest in the concept of "e-democracy" within representative
institutions as well as a concern that the expectation of online
speed may undermine their attempts to successfully bring these tools
into their processes which are by design slow and deliberative.

Here are my policy questions - Should parliaments, legislatures,
councils and other representative institutions begin to invest real
resources in "e-democracy" and build it into their official
processes? Do they need to provide a counterbalance to the larger e-
government and e-democracy/consultation investments of the
administrative branch of government?

You check out my answer in my 10MB (yikes) power point presentation:
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/repedemclift.ppt
(It includes lots of interesting screen shots of parliamentary
sites.)

My bottom line: Build representative e-democracy today or you will
lose power tomorrow.  As the legitimate direct representatives of
citizens, your institutional use of e-democracy tools and concepts is
paramount to the future of democracy as a whole.

Check out their "Photo Album" as I pray for the future of
representative e-democracy. :-)

Steven Clift
Democracies Online

Check out the Agenda and Conference Report pages for presentations:
http://www.eduskunta.fi/ecprd/   (Or use links below)

Conference Reports (Notes):
E-Democracy Workshop
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/Edemoc.ppt
Knowledge Management Workshop
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/KMworkshop.pdf

Quick links to Conference Presentations:

1. E-democracy in practice, Swedish experiences of a new political
tool. <http://www.svekom.se/skvad/E-democracy-en.pdf>
Tommy Rosén, Project Director, Swedish Association of Local
Authorities
Address:
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/Rosenaddress.helsinki.pd
Slides:
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/helsinki.ppt
(author of the now famous local government e-democracy report)

2. Bruno Vieillefosse/Assemblée nationale France: Les perspectives de
la démocratie électronique
French:
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/helsinki.pdf
English:
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/helskineng.pdf

3. Knowledge Management - projects in the Finnish Parliament, a
Member of Parliament’s mission and toolbox as an example, Markku
Markkula, Member of the Finnish Parliament, Committee for the Future

Developing and Implementing Knowledge Management in the Parliament of
Finland
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/KM_Finnish_Parliament.pd
(major report still in the works)

4. Knowledge Management - an accelerator for national
competitiveness, Professor Pirjo Ståhle, Lappeenranta University of
Technology
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/stahle.pps  (not
parliament specific)

5. Daniel Schweizer/The Swiss Parliament:
Verbalix - near real-time Internet publishing of Parliamentary
minutes
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/verbalix-helsinki.zip
(Very popular)

6. Per Axelson/The Swedish Parliament:
Promoting the exchange of information between Parliaments
http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/ecprd/Axelson.ppt
^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***