Dave, I think that having a structure for contributors finding work and also
finding any guidance they need is a great idea.  Finding some experienced hands
to contribute that sort of guidance and help organize effort to some degree
would be valuable.

We need a way for that to be self-organizing without any kind of hierarchy or
leadership roles.  For ASF projects, we seek a way for leadership to emerge
where needed but not that there are positions or titles.

It looks like there are structures on the Wiki itself that can be used to help
folks channel contributions and have it be coordinated among them.  That needs
to be used in an organic way, with everything operating by consensus to the max.

It may be that there is a bit more-than-usual process structure here for
producing documentation on the Wiki and elsewhere.  I think some of this is
historical, preceding the migration to Apache OpenOffice.  Some parts are
important aids for coordination and also providing an account for effort,
changes, etc.

 - Dennis

A little background:

ASF Projects have flat organization and depend on volunteer contribution.  The
idea is to build communities that are consensus-focused in their operation.
Voting is considered a last resort although it is required for certain
activities (such as approving a release).  Formal deliberations must be on the
dev@ list, not here on doc@, and the binding votes are from the Project
Management Committee members, although all votes are considered. There's not
supposed to be any other formal process than that.  There are legal and ASF
Charter reasons that there is even that much structure, such as every project
having a Chair that is an Officer of the Foundation.