  From: Ron Catterall
  To: Bob Stayton
  Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
  Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:16 PM
  Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Font size changes in <author> and <affiliation>

  Saxon 6.5.5 + XEP 4.9 + Oxygen 8.1 processing

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN"
  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";>
  <book>
  <title>Book Title</title>
  <subtitle>Subtitle</subtitle>
  <bookinfo>
  <authorgroup>
  <author>
  <firstname>An</firstname>
  <othername role="middle">23pt.</othername>
  <surname>Author</surname>
  <affiliation><orgname><?lb?>&nbsp;<?lb?>&nbsp;<?lb?>Organisation Name
(12pt.)</orgname></affiliation>
  </author>
  </authorgroup>
  </bookinfo>
here.</para></chapter>
  </book>

  with this XSL stylesheet

  <?xsl version="1.0" ?>
  <xsl:stylesheet
        xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0"
        xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"; >
  <xsl:import
href="/Applications/Utilities/oxygen/8.1/oxygen/frameworks/docbook/xsl/fo/docbook.xsl"
 />
  <xsl:param name="xep.extensions" select ="1" />
  <xsl:template match="processing-instruction('lb')">
  <fo:block/>
  </xsl:template>
  <xsl:template match="author" mode="book.titlepage.recto.mode">
    <fo:block font-size="23pt"
              color="blue"
              space-before="20pt"
              keep-with-next.within-column="always">
   ?? <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="titlepage.mode"/>
    </fo:block>
    <fo:block font-size="12pt"
              color="green"
              space-before="18pt" >
   ?? <xsl:apply-templates select="affiliation" mode="titlepage.mode"/>
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>
  </xsl:stylesheet>

  does not apply either color or font-size specifications.

    As I describe in this section of my book:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TitlePagePrint.html#TitlepageElementTemplates

    you can customize how a particular element is handled on a titlepage by
customizing the template in the mode without the "auto" in the mode name, in
this case mode="book.titlepage.recto.mode".  For example:

    <xsl:template match="author" mode="book.titlepage.recto.mode">
      <fo:block font-size="23pt"
                color="blue"
                space-before="20pt"
                keep-with-next.within-column="always">
        <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="titlepage.mode"/>
      </fo:block>
      <fo:block font-size="12pt"
                color="green"
                space-before="18pt" >
        <xsl:apply-templates select="affiliation" mode="titlepage.mode"/>
      </fo:block>
    </xsl:template>

    (I use color here just to indicate that it is working).

    Because this template is applied within the block created in the mode name
that includes "auto", it will inherit all those attributes, so you need to
override any that you don't want.

    In this case, the affiliation would not normally appear on a book
titlepage.  The default handling of author in fo/titlepage.xsl in
mode="titlepage.mode" has one template with a general match on author which
also processes the affiliation.  But there is a second template that
specifically matches on bookinfo/author with priority="2", which takes
precedence in this case.  That template does not output affiliation.  So your
customization needs to handle the components of author the way you want them.

    Bob Stayton
    Sagehill Enterprises
    DocBook Consulting
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]