Dick Hamilton wrote:

But, actually, I may have been unclear in my description
of what I'm trying to do.  I'm trying to take a docbook
document and use the docbook fo stylesheets and fop to
generate a pdf, not text, that has the characteristics
described below (re-reading my post, I can see that's
not clear).

I gathered the end product was pdf... just that the
processing is needed first? Either one or many para elements.
The rest can go through on the identity transform, unchanged?

Since I'm willing to have the author insert the two spaces
between sentences, I think the main question is whether
there is a combination of parameters/attributes that would
preserve all spaces except those at the beginning of the
line in wrapped contexts (like para).

No, but I wouldn't expect it to be a param issue?
It's a minor tweak on the way through to print (IMHO).

source->xslt2->docbook Source ->stylesheets->fop->pdf

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.