Johnson, Eric wrote:
What is the recommended way to do cross-references in modular DocBook books? xref or olink?

DocBook defines exactly what xref means. You can rely on different tool chains to do the same thing with it. As I read this:

        http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/olink.html

...the meaning of olink is open to interpretation, so you should only use it if it does something you need that xref won't, and your current tool chain happens to support it.

If by "modular" you mean "assembled from multiple DocBook files via XIncludes," then I'd say xref is clearly the way to go.