I have written an informal cals table, where most of the rows don't have data
in all columns.
I am using the entry attributes namest and nameend to position entries with
data.
There are 4 rows where the first column has data, then near the middle of the
row is more data.
In  output  the first row like that  the row is filled to the end  with empty
enties,
but for the others two of the rows have one extra entry  and one has none.
So the right half of the rows look like
    a | | | |
    b | |
    c |
    d |  |

both in pdf and html, using docbook-xsl-ns-1.74.0 and xalan.

                  Ian Moor