Robert
I have had pretty good results with a modified copy of "Majix".
(majix.sourceforge.net) I had to modify it to get the output to verify and
build Docbook, but I can make that copy available.

The drawbacks:
1. Images are output as WMF files.
2. You must save the file as an RTF before conversion with Majix.
3. You may still have to go into the generated output and check to see if the
translated elements are what you desired.

When I started Docbook'ing, my general search for a good conversion tool did
not go well. Mainly because the docs that I had to convert were existing Word
docs and I had no control on how they were laid out. Most of the other
solutions I have tried (Word templates, OpenOffice) seemed too restrictive and
you have to hold your mouth just right to get them to work. I have moved enough
files from Word to Docbook to know what some of the pitfalls are when
translating with Majix and, by far, its much quicker than "cut and paste" ;-)

There is so many documents out there in Word and many companies looking to move
to XML, but the tools for the initial conversion to Docbook are very meager and
immature. As a result, many times it scares a beginner out of moving to Docbook
by the shear task of conversion. If that was easier, basic concepts of life
with XML and Docbook would come quicker. The Majix tool finally produced an
output that I trusted (for my docs) only after a few years of tuning the tool
(i.e tinkering).

As a word of clarification, the above discussion is relevant only to initial
conversion and not the "back and forth" movement of files between Word/OO and
Docbook (i.e roundtrip).

Regards,
Dean Nelson

In a message dated 04/14/09 07:02:37 Pacific Daylight Time,