You need to define the mml prefix in the source document:

 <book xmlns:mml="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML";>

|       Trying system delegate file:///etc/xml/docbook-xml.xml
|       Resolve URI
|  http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/1.0/dbmathml.dtd
|       I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
|  http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/1.0/dbmathml.dtd
|       warning: failed to load external entity
|  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/1.0/dbmathml.dtd";
|       validity error : Could not load the external subset
|  "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/1.0/dbmathml.dtd";
|       Document
|  /home/fcarrijo/softwares/repositorio/xorg/proto/kbproto/specs
|  /xkbproto.xml does not validate

Are you sure that there is an entry for the public or system ID for
dbmathml.dtd in the catalog file?

Something like this is needed:

 <public publicId="-//OASIS//DTD DocBook MathML Module V1.0//EN"
         uri="file:///your/local/path/to/dbmathml.dtd"/>

Furthermore, dbmathml.dtd contains a reference to
http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/mathml2.dtd, hosted by W3C. They do not
like repeated requests for the same resource. See
http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic.

So you should have a catalog entry for mathml2.dtd too.

Mauritz