I'm trying to update the formatting of a PDF TOC. I mostly want to add
additional space above and bold the chapter entries.

I found the following sample for toc.line.properties in the DocBook XSL
reference, and as a test added it to my FO stylesheet.

<xsl:attribute-set name="toc.line.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="font-size">10pt</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="font-weight">
    <xsl:when test="self::chapter | self::preface |
self::appendix">bold</xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>normal</xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

According to the guide, this should make all entries 10pt and chapter
entries bold.

However, when I try to generate the DocBook output using our maven docbkx
tool, it doesn't generate at all, and I get an error indicating that a
"when" element must always be enclosed by a "choose" element.

If I add the choose element, like:

<xsl:attribute-set name="toc.line.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="font-size">10pt</xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="font-weight">
   <choose>
    <xsl:when test="self::chapter | self::preface |
self::appendix">bold</xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>normal</xsl:otherwise>
   </choose>
  </xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

then the output generates, but there is no effect on the TOC formatting.
The chapter entries aren't bold.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Thanks,

Janice