I have a personal project using docbook as a central point for producing
pdf and ebooks (epub and mobi (drm-less)). This is a free ruleset for
wargaming with little figurines. See my website dedicated to this work in
progress: http://bloodandblades.com/

Epub is relatively easy and works rather well, in a direct manner. Mobi, I
got from epub with calibre, but the graphics are problematic (on my old
Kindle 4 touchless). The pdf, I cannot produce directly, so one against I
got it from epub, which is not the best way to get it in a perfect world.

The docbook handling is a free project of itself. It is there :
https://github.com/psiloi/tiddlybook

The recipe for making file are all in the Makefile.

I would appreciate any help to improve my output methods. I also haven't
been able to support entities in my docbook. I find the official
documentation lacking example in this repect, more complete example. A
simpl "hello world" docbook with one or two entities would greatly help me.