I’ve been out of the DocBook ecosystem for a few years, but I’ve got some
documentation to write and I’m rolling up my sleeves! I would have thought the
following would be a FAQ, but Dave Pawson’s page is giving me a 404 right now.

What is the state of the art for small text substitutions (basically just
domain-specific terms) that can also be varied via the profiling machinery? I
have an application that can run as more than one “product”, and each product
shows domain-specific variations in labels, for example, in the user interface.
There might be a generic term for some object “Foo”, but Application A will
call this a “Bar”, and Application B calls it a “Baz”. What I want to be able
to do is refer to a “Foo” throughout the source, but substitute “Bar” for App
A’s output, and “Baz” for App B’s. What’s the best way to achieve this?

Paul Hoadley