I probably should clarify that the <?eval ${project.version}?> notation is
specific to the Maven docbkx plugin, which we use to generate the output.

I also tried to create an entity file containing a version entity using the
info from http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Db5Entities.html. When I tried
to add the DOCTYPE element to refer back to the entity file, Oxygen
rejected it as not being well-formed. So I couldn't test whether I could
use an entity reference to incorporate the version number in the link
target.

--
Janice Manwiller
Principal Technical Writer