On 2018-03-06 10:44, Tony Graham wrote:
On 06/03/2018 14:44, Niels Müller Larsen wrote:
I am on Linux, my present web development students on Win or Mac, so
 cross platform is important, and that was all I wanted to comment
on.

After installing Emacs, the second thing that I install on any Windows
system is the Cygwin tools.  With a bash shell running in an Emacs
buffer, it's almost like using a rational operating system.

FWIW, Windows 10 now has the ability to install a Linux sub-system, basically a bash prompt. You can then use apt-get to install lots of other standard Linux programs. Support for gui apps is not officially supported, but the apps I've tried work if you also install an X-windows server app. I used to use Cygwin, but I prefer the Windows Linux sub-system.

   Mike Maxwell
   University of Maryland