I am  making an epub file, and on the TOC I want to suppress one or more
HTML pages from being listed in the navigation document. (For example, I
want the TOC to show  CHAPTER 1, CHAPTER 3, .... but have  no Chapter 2
entry visible in the TOC navigation document. )

There are manual ways to do this. First, I can  manually remove the LI item
referring to the line I want to suppress. But the better solution is to
give  the LI item in the TOC navigation document  the "hidden=" attribute.
http://www.idpf.org/epub/301/spec/epub-contentdocs.html#sec-xhtml-nav-def-hidden

Has anyone figured out how to do that with docbook/xslt?

The use case is that I have some introductory stuff which shouldn't appear
in the navigation document on the reading system. (Like a page of blurbs,
or a page promoting other titles by that author).

Thanks.

--
Robert Nagle
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/