On 2020-09-23 14:05, Norm Tovey-Walsh wrote:
Let's say we have a refentry for "foo", so it would be nice to write

     You can use commands <xref linkend="foo-refentry"/> or
     <command>bar</command> for this.
I’d probably do this:

     You can use commands <command linkend="foo-refentry"/> or
     <command>bar</command> for this.

Okay, thanks for this tip, this looks nicest. We're not on DocBook 5 yet, and also this renders to empty with the XSL stylesheets, so some additional tooling will be required. But I take the spirit of this answer to be that it would be the responsibility of the link source, not target, to arrange the desired formatting.