"Regarding your first question, if you put a role attribute on a phrase
(<phrase role=“red”>contents</phrase>), the value of that role will be carried
to the HTML (e.g., <span class=“red”>contents</span>)
You can then apply css normally.

Regarding your second question, I’m not so sure what’s the best thing to do,
but you might try the same approach, wrapping the inlinemediaobject in a phrase
with a role, then key off whatever sequence of spans you get (probably
something like span.XYZ>span.inlinemediaobject>img).

Dick Hamilton”

That is great! Thank you so much. The red span works great. I will see if I can
do the same for the images.