Bob Stayton wrote:
This seems to be an IE7 quirk with the W3C web server. These URLs are published in the XHTML standard as the place to get these DTDs. In the XHTML 1.0 standard document on the W3C website, the links to the strict and transitional DTDs don't work in IE7, they just say "No" (which sounds like a joke almost), but the link to the frameset DTD *does* work. Why the inconsistency? These links should work for all browsers, and the DTDs should be cached in the browser after the first fetch. I don't understand why they don't work now. Below is the mail I sent to the W3C webmaster. I'll let you know if I get an explanation of this odd behavior.

http://www.outofcontrol.ca/2009/02/20/w3org-dtdxhtml1-strictdtd-blocks-windows-ie-users/

W3C staffer suggests using a catalog... Is that possible with IE?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.