        From: kate.wri...@sybase.com [mailto:kate.wri...@sybase.com]
        Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 2:25 PM
        To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
        Subject: [docbook] controlling the line length of programlisting

        Has anyone tried to use schematron to enforce the line length of
programlisting?

        We want to be able to limit the line-length of our
programlistings when we are authoring.
        That is, we need to be informed when a line length in a
programlisting exceeds a number of characters (e.g., 72)
        so that we can go in and format the lines properly. E.g., I'm
imagining that this would involve counting the number of characters
before a eol and then comparing
        this number against the character limit (72).

        If anyone has an alternative suggestion, that would be greatly
appreciated.

        Thank you,

        Kate

________________________________

        Subject: Re: [docbook] prettyprinting code snippets

        *       From: Hannes Magnusson <hannes.magnus...@gmail.com>
        *       To: DavePawson <da...@dpawson.co.uk>
        *       Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:59:31 +0200

________________________________

        On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:01, DavePawson<da...@dpawson.co.uk>
wrote:
        > Mauricio Tavares wrote:
        >>
        >>    I am writing a an article in which I am including quite a
few xml
        >> examples and snippets. I have been using <programlisting> but
was now
        >> wondering if there is a way I can prettyprint those snippets.
Anyone?

        > ONly if the code is well laid out in the first place?
        > I try to break lines at <= 70 chars to make sure
        > it fits on a screen.
        >
        > If you want code highlighting etc.. sorry no.

        When the PHP documentations where using DocBook-XSL we used to
add a
        customization layer to add special "tags" around
<programlisting>, and
        then post process the output to syntax highlight and format
examples
        (php, xml, ..).

        For example with <programlisting role="php"><?php..
        ?></programlisting> the customization layer would generate
        "<phpcode><?php.. ?></phpcode>" that was then post processed
with
        other applications.

        Currently we are using "PhD" (PHP based Docbook Renderer) which
        handles all these kinds of things :)

        -Hannes
        docbook@lists.oasis-open.org