From the on-line description of db._phrase (http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/_phrase.html):
> This variant of phrase is used in places where
> the content model is restricted to only the
> “ubiquitous” inlines.

Can someone explain to me what this means, and why it is necessary to have both db.phrase and db._phrase in DB5? Unless I'm missing something, it was not necessary in earlier versions of DB (it doesn't appear in the "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" v1.0.3, although that is of course an older version). (There is also a db._emphasis, in addition to the db.emphasis, although it's not clear that db._emphasis exists for the same reason as db._phrase--the '"ubiquitous" inlines isn't mentioned in the same way.)
--
   Mike Maxwell
   What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?