Jana, good point.   The test setup info follows.

2 hosts  each with 1 cpu Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz with 32
cores,  10 Gbps ixgbe  NICs.

I ran a comparison of Linux Bridge and  OVS in the following setup .

iperf----veth1---veth2--
[bridge]--vxlan--phy----(LAN)----phy--vxlan--[bridge]---veth2---veth1--iperf

The performance is as follows:

OVS :               6.27 Gbits/sec
Linux Bridge    4.12 Gbits/sec

Linux bridge is only  about 2/3 rd as performant as  OVS !!