Yesterday, I installed 2.1 to see how it works w.r.t the
documents.

While I was cut and pasting type-map stuff from new
configuration, I noticed that all configurations for
/usr/local/apache2/manual is enclosed with <IfModule
mod_alias.c>.  It looks like this (irrelevant part is
omitted):

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
    AliasMatch ^/manual(?:/(?:de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru))?(/.*)?$ "@[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

    <Directory "@exp_manualdir@">
        Options Indexes
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all

        AddHandler type-map .html
        <Files *.html.*>
            RemoveHandler .html
        </Files>

        SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/manual/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)/ prefer-language=$1
        RedirectMatch 301 ^/manual(?:/(de|en|fr|ja|ko|ru)){2,}(/.*)?$
/manual/$1$2
    </Directory>
</IfModule>

I think this is not very desirable as you'll be unable to
browse HTTPD manual if your server disabled mod_alias.  If I
understand it correctly, mod_alias is only necessary for
lanuange links to work.  So I'd like to suggest moving out
type-map configuration out of IfModule.

BTW, what is the policy of IfModule usage?  It looks a bit
inconsistent.  There's IfModule mod_setenvif.c later in the
configuration but above SetEnvIf is not enclosed with
IfModule directive.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi