On 1/9/2011 8:57 PM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
On 1/9/2011 8:22 PM, Ron Faile wrote:
On 1/9/2011 7:43 PM, Hal Parker wrote:
Are we using the term "dialog" or "dialog box"? The OOo books vary in usage:
Getting Started and Calc (and maybe Draw; I didn't check) use "dialog" while
the Writer Guide uses "dialog box".

The LibreOffice options use the term "dialog" for some of the options. I
haven't checked the help, but I think it also uses "dialog".

If we settle on "dialog", I will amend the Writer Guide chapters as I go
through them doing other things.

FWIW, I personally prefer "dialog" but the important thing is to be
consistent, when we can. I suspect other variations in terminology in both
the program and the user guides, left over from OOo.

Hal

The authors at OOo are in the process of changing their docs from dialog box to dialog. I agree with you and think we should go with dialog. It sound better to me. The online help uses dialog as well. That would be a good list to have of some typical conventions. Maybe we can find a place on the wiki and list them.

Ron

Another term is "main menu" vs "menu bar" -- both were used in the chapter I'm working on. And then there's "tab" vs "page" for the tabbed dialogs.

It would also be good to have a list of the paragraph and character style usage. Character styles, in particular, were really inconsistent in what I saw. Dialogs, options, and so on really should be consistent in their tagging across the whole document. No time to work on that now, I'm sure, but....

Another term is context menu vs pop-up menu for what happens after a right-click. I could start collecting all this stuff for a style guide, if there isn't one already. Any interest?