On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 18:38:13 +1000
Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Glad to hear you're on the job; wasn't sure if your other work/life
> was interfering.

Yes, took on a "rescue dog" a few weeks ago, an 8 year old standard poodle
I named Doctor Who.
Bit of a handful, trying to catch up the missing 8 years of training in a
few weeks. But we are ok :=)

After I finish the PT/DP I will go across to the Draw chapters.

Slightly OT but perhaps relevant:

With my Windows hat on, I am programming an MS Access VBA application at
present, relatively complicated with table linking, multi
user across a network, containing various input forms/subforms, many
different reports with forms for input of parameters for the queries, and
so on. You get the idea.

I have both printed and pdf versions of major books about Access and VBA
(1000 pages plus in some cases) from Que, O'Reilly etc.

The point is, that at a certain point, the questions I have are not
answered in these books. I find the answers on forums and other web based
resources via Google. Some blogs and wikis are useful also.

A second point is the speed of access. It is (usually) slower to
search a book (one pdf at a time) than to use Google. Of course with a text
search facility like Recoll (Linux) or Sleuthhound (Windows) searching
becomes more efficient, but still limited to what you have on
your hard drive/local server(s). And this does not address the
online/offline questions, nor problems encountered by those with slow
internet access speeds.

But my point is, we have all this really good _basic_ information contained
in the Guides.

What about the power users? Who addresses their needs? Do we
need some sort of cookbook of ideas/FAQs or whatever in a Wiki format?
Harvested from user forums etc? I remember some years ago we had or were
looking at a system of harvesting ideas - I think Jonathan was across it
IIRC?? The sheer number of posts and checking if proposed solutions are
still applicable would be horrendous to perform manually I suppose. This
does not attempt to propose a solution, just stimulate some ideas.

Interesting that Ubuntu have also recognised the need to cater for both
"newbies" and power users with the release of 11.04 - perceived by many
power users (Linus T included) as a dumbing down of the system.

just a few cents worth of thoughts this morning
regards
Martin J Fox
马丁·福克斯
mar...@mjfox.ch
buti...@bluewin.ch
VK7MM/HB9TQX
www.mjfox.ch / www.badwolf.ch
QQ 1472808085 / MSN buti...@hotmail.com
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't.
Email sent using Axigen Free Mail Server:
http://www.axigen.com/mail-server/free