Barry,
I've been hoping to hear from David Nelson, who may know more than I
about the state of the docs about installing on Linux. Here is a wiki
page, which may or may not be the one currently under development:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_LibreOffice_on_Linux
I also have a copy of this in ODT; I'm not sure if both are in sync,
but I believe so. I don't see it on the wiki (though it may be there
and I can't find it), so I will send a copy directly to your gmail
address if you like.

At some point you will probably want to get an account on our Alfresco
content management system website, but learning your way around that
might be a bit much at this point. You are welcome to get a wiki
account and edit the page there, or edit the ODT that I can send you.

BTW, the instructions we give are for people downloading LibreOffice
(LO) from our website and installing it themselves. It is installed in
a different location from any version of LO that may come with your
distro and/or be installed from your distro's repository. We should
probably mention that when writing/updating docs about using LO on
Linux.

We definitely do need help; the group does not have enough people to
do all that is needed... or sometimes even to identify what's needed.

--Jean