I have finished editing this. LO has chewed up the graphics as usual: first it
marked most of them as read errors, then it removed the marked ones altogether.
Fortunately I had taken the precaution of making a copy and, when I unzipped
this, I was able to retrieve and display the graphics independently using feh.

The problem seems to be getting worse. This was quite a small chapter and there
were only 17 graphics altogether. LO shouldn't have choked on it.

When I logged into Alfresco to upload the file, something weird had happened
there too. The proofing folder for Impress was empty and there was no
possibility of uploading. This isn't my lucky day.

I await instructions.
--
Hazel Russman <hazeldeb...@googlemail.com>