On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 19:37 -0400, Dan Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 22:15 +0000, Mark Stanton wrote:
> > > I think it might be fastest for Hazel to complete it.
> >
> > Too late!  Update in the drafts folder just now.
> > Mostly content, since Hazel's proof reading is great.
> >
> > Since a lot of it is about the content, there are many "notes" rather than
> > changes of
> > text.
> >
> > It's really important to make the distinction between a DBMS (that's a
> > program that
> > manages a database), and the data that we put into a database that we've
> > built
> > using a DBMS.
> >
> > I also think that's it's REALLY important to make it clear that HSQLDB is
> > not THE
> > Base DBMS, just the default setting.  There is no "Base DBMS", it can use
> > many
> > different engines.  And, sticking my neck out even further, I'd say it'd be
> > good
> > to play down the built in version of HSQLDB, or at least not play it up.
> > Since it's
> > limitations have upset even one of our most famous "Base" names, Mr
> > Pitonyak, I think
> > it would be good to play up the ability to use (almost) whatever DMBS you
> > want rather
> > than giving the impression that HSQLDB is "it".
> >
> > Ok, steady.. Aim... Fire!
> >
> > Regards
> > Mark Stanton
> > One small step for mankind...
>
> Fire one! [;-) ]
>      The one thing that has always confused me: What is Base?

Base is a software tool used to create and manipulate ODF database
documents.

ODF database documents are compound documents that allow users to treat
a collection of items, all related to a single data source, as a whole.

This includes:
- the information required to connect to a database source
- user configuration data for displaying ra
+w data from this data source
- query definitions for extracting record sets from this data source
- data entry forms for manipulating data in the data source
- report definitions used to export raw data into ODF text documents and
spreadsheets

Additionally, Base offers a number of utilities for working with the
data source:
- data strucure definition functionality
- ability to import/export records from one data source to another
- scripting capabilities allowing the user to expand the build functions
n the package.

anyway - just what came to mind.

Best wishes,

//drew