Hello Klaus

After some more thought I have a couple more comments on the design.

At the moment, the template used for user guides has coloured headings 1,2 and
3. These do stand out very well on the page and are reasonable easy to locate
on a page. Using coloured headers and footers could reduce the visibility of
headings, especially if a heading appears at the top of the page just below the
header.

Some of the colours proposed for the different user guides could clash horribly
with the green used for the headings at the moment. To match the colour used
for headings with the colour used for headers and footers is not recommended
because some of the colours proposed would not stand out on a page and would
probably make the page design look very amateurish. Also it would mean having a
different template for each user guide if the heading colour is going to be
different in each user guide.

Using each module logo in the header is a good idea because it would not be
detracting from the info on the page, but no colour in the header or footer.
Again this idea means different templates for each user guide to accommodate
the different icons. Template management then becomes a problem if there are
any universal changes required in templates.

I think using the LibreOffice logo in all the user guides is the simplest and
easiest to maintain when any changes are made to templates. It would also put
LibreOffice branding on every page of a user guide. The front and rear covers
of each user guide should show the logo (icon) for that LO module.

Having a distinct design for LibreOffice is a good idea and would look
professional, but catchy design is not so good an idea as it could make the
user guides look amateurish.

>From my own experience in technical publications, users, especially
>inexperienced ones, like simple and clean designs because they are easy to use
>and refer to. I have seen too many user guides that look good until you try to
>use them. Also, too many user guides and computer books I have come across
>have had such a busy page design that it made the books difficult to read.

The cover designs and the chapter title page designs look good. It is the page
design that I would like to be as simple as possible.

Hope my comments help.

Regards

PeterS

Peter Schofield