Hi *,

first let me write down: you mustn't set me in CC. I'm reading this list.

> The internal HsqlDb appears to have lost data for quite a few people
> in just normal database usage.  Is Firebird also likely to lose data
> for people?  Base only appears robust when using an external back-end.
>  Have bug-reports been filed against the Firebird back-end?  Does the
> handbook help people understand that an external back-end is really
> needed?

Problem is the backup of data from the internal HSQLDB. Best you could
do is to backupd the data every time you open the HSQLDB. I have added
such a macro in the Handbuch.

> Note that it's not the fault of HsqlDb itself as using the proper
> version straight from their website as a back-end apparently works
> very well.  It's only the heavily tweaked version inside Base that
> creates problems.

Same with Firebird. External firebird has only the problem: Autovalue
isn't implemented, must be written in SQL for every table. Internal
Firebird has too many problems yet. We hope it would be better, because
there are functions in the external Firebird many people would need, for
example the function "List".

Regards

Robert