Hello

Just done another little test using Calibre to convert an ODT file straight
into ePub format. The results look promising using a simplified template as
as the figures in frames are retained and the format looks reasonable. See
the following sample at the following link to my Dropbox. The sample is not
perfect, but gives the idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/adwaebcgmvymp8o/calibre%20test%20chapter%20-%20Peter%20Schofield.epub

I did try this Calibre conversion using an ODT file that uses the LO chapter
template. The result was not good as the format goes haywire and would
definitely not be acceptable as a published book.

My conclusion is that the LO templates have to be simplified and follow the
convention in general use for paragraph and character style names.

One thing I found in creating my  simplified template is not to use the
list/numbering styles that are available. I used the Bullets On/Off and
Numbering On/Off tools that are available on the LO Formatting toolbar.

However, after reading the comments in this discussion about the time
involved to do conversions, do we really have to convert our guides into
ePub format. We already have the guides in PDF format which can be easily
used as an epub book format and all the formatting is retained. You need to
use readers for any epub book and most people have a PDF reader installed on
their computer. Just playing devil's advocate with this thought.

Regards

PeterS

-----
Peter Schofield