Olivier,

Thanks for trying to explain this to me. I'm not certain I understand, so
I'll try to confirm.

It sounds like there isn't a concrete plan for the content of the
documentation website, which is why it mostly duplicates the download
options on the main website and wiki right now.

But it sounds like the documentation website is intended to be the primary
source for guide downloads and similar documents. In this case, I think the
next step is to remove the download links from the main website's
"documentation" page, and replace them with links to the documentation
website, help website, and wiki.

Then we can work on the publication website. Again, I'm happy to help with
this, but how do we edit it? The wiki page https://wiki.
documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Guides_Website is incomplete.

As for the wiki, my guess is that in the short term we should leave it
alone, since this page does make it very easy to find everything while the
other websites are in flux.

Moving onwards...

> I don't know who's in charge of the websites or what the plans are, but
> the
> > current situation is a mess...which I'm happy to help clean up if it's
> > something anyone can do.
>
> Thanks for the initiative, much appreciated. No one is actually "in
> charge", pages are created by the community members so everybody is "in
> charge", including removing SPAM and caring on the accuracy of the
> information. That is the way TDF wiki works.

I think I understand what you mean by this from reading the the thread
"simplifying documentation". Okay, so no one holds any formal
responsibility. I didn't mean to imply that. (For me at least, the meaning
of "in charge" is loose enough to include temporary volunteers.) What I
want to know is who is working on the website, which does not seem to have
open editing. Based on that other thread, it seems that this would be the
"infrastructure" team. Is this correct?

> Aside: design-wise the doc website also seems rather questionable to me,
> and
> > hard to navigate. Giant text, giant graphical tiles for links, giant
> inline
> > pictures, collapsing content instead of sidebar nav. But that's a topic
> for
> > another time.
>
> Please feel free to suggest another layout/color/design. As said above,
> it was conceived to be a download point for published community
> documents, and not a documentation (contents) website per-se.

I have an idea in my head, but it will take some time to spell it out, so
I'll do that in a new thread when I get a chance.

--Kenneth