Hi Ilmari

Em 02/08/2017 09:14, Ilmari Lauhakangas escreveu:
> The recent influx of new doc team contributors and Kenneth's wiki work
> caused something to click in my brain. I started thinking about the
> specific role of quality tech documentation in attracting and retaining
> contributors.
>
> I would like to establish an image of the documentation team as one of
> the highest providers of value to the project. We can express this idea
> with a simple formula: in FOSS projects contributors equal money. A
> documentation team that provides excellent copywriting and tech docs is
> equal to an investor. Contributors keep flowing in as long as the doc
> team is strong in this area.

Good documentation is an asset of the project and a invaluable companion
product of LO (IMHO).

> Now for something concrete, based on feedback received recently. I would
> like you to take a look at the main LibO website
> https://www.libreoffice.org/
> In the menu bar, do you agree that "Events" should be exchanged with
> "Get involved" that is currently hiding as a submenu item under
> "Community"?

Makes sense. Precious page real state.

> Could the intention be conveyed better by changing "Get involved" to
> something else? "How can I help?" was proposed, but I think we need to
> be careful not to mislead people seeking help files (and consider
> translatability).

yes.

> In the "Get involved" page itself
> http://www.libreoffice.org/community/get-involved/ should we have a
> short piece that sells the idea of contributing? Ie. make everything as
> explicit as possible instead of "here are our teams, you know the rest,
> right?". There could be a general bit to draw the visitor in and then
> the individual team entries could be finessed until they are at the
> absolute peak of comprehensibility.

What about a 30 sec video on each topic of the page?

> I am able to edit the page contents and if something in the layout needs
> changing I can handle it with the admin.

The liberOffice website contents changes should, IMHO, be in synch with
the Marketing group as well as with connections to the National
Languages projects.

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator