Hello Team and welcome new members.

A summary of our task at the moment: We are focusing our work on the
Calc Guide.

The task is to update the Calc Guide 4.2 to the most recent version of
the software today namely 6.2 or even 6.3.

The Guide is composed by 20 files/chapters covering an in-depth view of
the Calc spreadsheet. The chapters files are available in NextCloud.

CG6200-Preface.odt
CG6201-IntroducingCalc.odt
CG6202-EnterEditFormatData.odt
CG6203-ChartsAndGraphs.odt
CG6204-StylesAndTemplates.odt
CG6205-UsingGraphicsInCalc.odt
CG6206-PrintingExportingEmailing.odt
CG6207-FormulasAndFunctions.odt
CG6208-PivotTables.odt
CG6209-DataAnalysis.odt
CG6211-SharingAndReviewing.odt
CG6212-CalcMacros.odt
CG6213-CalcAsASimpleDatabase.odt
CG6214-CustomizingCalc.odt
CG6215-CalcOnLine.odt
CG6216-CalculationEngineThreading.odt
CG6217-KeyboardShortcuts.odt
CG6218-CalcFunctions.odt
CG6219-CalcErrorCodes.odt

Our modus operandi is to pick on of the chapters and update it. This is
carried as

* Read the chapter contents
* Verify the developments of the releases 4.2 to 6.2 that applies to the
chapter
* write/update the contents accordingly.

SOME REMARKS

- Dave Barton did a wonderful job summarizing the releases notes into a
wiki page, separating per chapter contents.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/Calc/6.x

- Many developments listed in the release notes are internal to the
application and is not interesting for the end user. This includes but
not extensively:

* changes in the way calculation are done internally (not visible to end
user),
* bug (defects) fixing (bugs should never exist actually)
* new Calc function XYZ specific to a domain of sciences (too specific
to the general public)

- Write on new developments:

* A new feature implemented
* A change in the user interface (dialog, menus, context menus,
toolbars, sidebars...)
* A feature enhancement or change
* A development that improves interoperability with Microsoft Excel.

The contents to update and the writing is left to the team member
discretion and will be revised anyway.

New team members are invited to pick a chapter and give a try on the
update. This list is the place to ask for help and to discuss contents.

On starting a update, please inform this list on your work and the
expected date to finish the update. You can also use the control
spreadsheet available in Nextcloud/Calc/6.2 to inform the chapter and
expected date.

SOME MORE REMARKS

- Authors are required to be knowledgeable in using LibreOffice Writer
styles. In fact, the whole books relies heavily in text styles to keep
book layout uniform. Please study LibreOffice Writers styles in the
Writers Guide available for download at

https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/

Therefore, by using styles, do not use the direct formatting available
in the toolbars and menus. For example, to put a word in bold
characters, do not use the bold button or Crtl+B shortcut. Use the
character style that correspond to the bold letters.

Our 6.x book has new styles and the task of updating styles is not
trivial at the moment. But since we use styles, Authors are invited to
update the contents and leave the style management to our final book
assembly.

LIVE MEETING:
We set the bi-monthy meeting at 00:00 UTC time, becasue currently our
team members lives in the America's time zones. The meeting reminder is
sent in the morning of the day. The meeting is an opportunity to discuss
our progress, clarify our doubts and define the next steps for the book
update. In the case new Authors lives in Europe, we can review the
meeting time.

FINAL WORD: Please don't be shy to use the mailing list. Also these
words don't cover all the finesses of writing technical guides of an
office suite.

Kind regards

--
Olivier Hallot