Hello Jean

Em 24/05/2022 21:50, Jean Weber escreveu:
Hello Olivier and Docs Team,

I have started writing up my process for creating printed books
through Lulu. Some steps may need to be modified if Olivier or someone
else takes this over who does not use a Mac. I will explain.

I do the printed books in a 6x9-inch size, not the full A4 of the
PDFs. This is to save printing costs and thus the cost to purchasers.
Lulu requires a book file (PDF) to be provided in the selected page
size, so I have to create a suitable file. It is quick and easy to do
on a Mac: I use the Mac's built-in Preview app to "print" the original
A4 PDF to a PDF with a 6x9-inch page size. I do not know what the
equivalent method may be on Windows or Linux. I may have asked this
question here before, but I do not recall the answer (if any).

If I get it right, the A4 page is shrunk into a 6x9in, right? It is *not* the same as rezising the page styles to 6x9in page (where text will reflow and total pages will increase accordingly).

My maths says the book is ~75% the size of the current A4 document, same number of pages.

I'll test this operation in Linux (I think it is feasible)

Of course, someone else could avoid that step and produce the books
full-size (A4) and purchasers would have to pay the extra printing
cost (probably double) and postage cost. Thoughts?

I admit I have not purchased one of Lulu prints, but I guess font size and image quality won't suffer.

(There are some other issues to consider, which are unrelated to the
page size. I will mention them in separate notes.)

A wiki page on the topic, with do's and don'ts is my suggestion.

Regards
Olivier

Jean

--