I'll bite a little more on this one Steve.
Would you all believe that I didn't actually learn how a lead solo sound
was produced until just a few years ago. Well I didn't, but that's one
of the great things about having gotten interested in music again. I've
learned so much.
Long time list members will know that LTTM was the song that got me
hooked on the Doobies. It was the first song that I heard on the radio
that atually made me go out and buy an album instead of a 45. I didn't
know that what I was hooked on was Rockin' Blues, until years later when
I actually had a chance to hear the Lowdown Delta Blues.
A couple of years before the DBFC came along, I got involved in a garage
band that a guy in my apartment building had going. We did a lot of
Pink Floyd, but also did Long Train and Blackwater, with me singing lead
vocals. I got interested in playing guitar, and Dave got me started with
the basics of strumming and basic chord forms. The first Doobies Tune I
learned to play was Long Train.
Then came the DBFC, and I got to meet the guys that made all that great
music. Since then, I've added to my original Epiphone acoustic, and
finally have settled down to taking honest to goodness guitar lessons.
I can sit and listen to a blues tune, and hum a lead solo in real time,
but I can't get it onto a fretboard in real time - yet. My equipment
choices have been influenced a lot by what Pat uses. I have a Mesa
Boogie amp, and a Digitech pedal.
My big quest now is to get some insight into effects settings for the
various Doobies tones. Tommy's awesome chunka-chunka tone on The Doctor,
Pats awesome lead tone, that excellent, dirty lead tone that John gets
on the intro to China Grove, and all the others.
As I mentioned earlier, the garage band did a lot of Pink Floyd, and
I've gotten to be a big fan of David Gilmour's playing as well. So if
any others out there are like minded, I'd love to correspond off list
about Dave's playing and equipment.
Well that's me in a nutshell, musically anyway. Like Steve, I'm looking
forward to hearing from all the rest of you too.
--
Hearin' Their Tunes Always Has A Way
Of Soothin' Out My Soul
_______________________ _______ _______________________
\______________________\ \ __\ \_____________________/
\_____________________/ / \ _\____________________/
\___________________/ /______\ \____________________/
Cause Times Are Hard And Work Is Slow,
But Their Music Keeps Me Whole
_________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe doobiefans-list" in the body.