Erik your Question # 3), this much I know in regard to the actual case law used in the He's so Fine , My Sweet Lord  controversy or in legalese :aka
Bright Tunes Music Corp. vs.. Harrisongs Music, Ltd.,
420 F.Supp. 177 (1976)

Paraphrasing Erik;
George Harrison getting sued for having a "simular" hook line to the Shirelles in his song "My Sweet Lord"?

Erik, I didn't agree with the decision of the courts myself  read on and you may understand why the court ruled the way they did. Oh FYI it was the Chiffons and not the Shirelles (Mary Well and the Shirelles did have  "My Guy" as hit about the same time as the Chiffons "He's so Fine" ,1963)
The court in Bright Tunes Music Corp. vs.. Harrisongs Music, Ltd., 420 F.Supp. 177 (1976), concluded that George Harrison had indeed infringed upon the copyright of He's So Fine . The decision was unique in that the court acknowledged that Harrison may have unconsciously copied the tune.

The court stated:
"His subconscious knew it already had worked in a song his conscious did not remember... That is, under the law, infringement of copyright, and is no less so even though subconsciously accomplished."

Huh ? What did he say ? Oh I get it now . . . that makes perfect sense to me. . . yea right !

In making its determination, the court looked at the structure of the two songs in question. He's So Fine consists of four repetitions of a short musical phrase - Motif A, followed by four repetitions of Motif B. The second use of the Motif B series includes a unique grace note, this is better seen if one is studying the actual sheet music and the individual motifs.

My Sweet Lord has a very similar structure in that it consists of four repetitions of Motif A , followed by three repetitions of Motif B. Particularly telling, however, is that the fourth repetition of Motif B includes the grace note, once again this is better seen when studying the actual sheet music in Motif C. It is possible that this grace note is what pushed the court over the edge in determining infringement.

I don't know about sampling, so I won't speak on the subject, but I hope this may be helpful. Maybe someone knows the sampling/copyright laws and could explain it to those of  us that may be interested.

KC in SJ