On Sunday 04 Oct 2009, Clive Wills wrote:
> Does anyone know if the following Print Server(s) works 'out of the box'
> or easily with Ubuntu 9.04 please.
>
> Edimax PS 3207U or PS 1206P.

Not on these specifically.

> I am trying to connect both my HPLJ 5P laser printer (parallel) and the
> Canon Colour i950 printer (USB) to the ADSL Router so that both laptops
> and desk PC can have access (mixed Linux/XP systems).
> I also have a HP PSC 1317 (USB) multi function inkjet which it would be
> nice to have connected occasionally.
>
> I believe the PS 3207U has 1=parallel and 2 USB inputs with ethernet
> output.
>
> Could I also connect my Canon Lide 50 scanner to this (PS 3207U)? Would
> it work?
>
> Any comments would be appreciated please.

I've connected two print servers to my system here, one from D-Link and I
can't remember who made the other; it was years ago now.  Both had a web
interface, which allowed me to configure them through a browser.

Once they were on the network, I found that Linux saw them with no problem,
just using CUPS.  Neither provided access to the status information however,
so although I could send printouts to the appropriate printer, I couldn't see
if it was out of ink, paper or stalled etc, and I never got a message back to
say the job was completed.

Maybe you knew this already and this is not much use, but if not, then at
least you might have an idea of the limitations and features to look for in
these devices.

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-10-07 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/