On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 20:30 +0100, d-...@hadrian-way.co.uk wrote:

> Another one I couldn't resist:
>
> http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,617,530.PN.&OS=PN/7,617,530&RS=PN/7,617,530
>
> There's a lot of discussion about this over on Groklaw and PJ has got it a bit
> wrong by saying that MS has a patent on sudo.  However, even if you think it
> makes sense to patent software (I don't), it seems that all they have done is
> patent a method of escalating priveledges (not necessarily to root), by
> presenting the user with a GUI.
>
> Under the bonnet it seems to do a bit more than sudo, which allows priveledge
> excalation as defined by the sudoers file (AIUI).  The patented method seems
> examine the priveledges of all of the users on the system and chooses one that
> gives sufficient priveledge, but no more.  Seems to be a lot of work for
> little
> gain, but even if it was useful, it's only a incremental update to what the
> sudo
> tools in KDE, Gnome and MacOSX already do.
> --
> Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wednesday 2009-12-02 20:00
> Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/
> Chat: http://www.mibbit.com/?server=irc.blitzed.org&channel=%23dorset

When I had a guest lecturer talking about Security, and blowing my
students minds (not difficult) He had them doing things with
command.com, and pointed out that there were 4 ways of starting command,
each with different privilege levels from user to administrator. This
was on NT4.

Peter M.

I wish I could remember which method had the Administrator rights!