On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 13:00:08 -0000, Andrew Drapper <and...@drapper.com>
wrote:

> Looking to put Ubuntu on a refurbished PC, Should I use a single
> drive, obviously the easiest, or should I put the os and programmes on
> one disc docks on another,

That is a question only you can answer. From the sounds of it you already
know the advantages and disadvantages of both so I'm not sure I can help
further.

> and if so how do I re-address the file system to the
> second disk?

The easy way to do this (if you choose too) would be to set it up at
install time. While around the partition manager at install you should
ensure that /home is mounted on the second disk. By putting /home on a
different disk ALL users 'Documents' directories will be stored on this
second disk. It should also sore most if not all user settings on this
disk too.

It really is as easy as that, much easier than trying to move "My
Documents" around on Windows - something I have had to do several times.

> Oh and while I am on it does anyone have any suggestions for creating a
> revisions backup of my documents?
> On Windows I an doing this with syncplicity.

Depending on what features of syncplicity you want too keep - a similar
looking (I say looking as I have no experience of syncplicity so can only
go by their homepage) would be dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/

Other than that if your goal is revision control you'll find a wealth of
RCS software out there all ready to be given a try.

--
Using Opera M2: http://www.opera.com/mail/

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2010-01-05 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/