On Tuesday 08 Dec 2009, Simon O'Riordan wrote:
> The 9.10 Ubuntu comes with OO 3.1 as standard.
> This can now handle all microsoft Office file types without switching
>  between compatibilities. For example, DOCX is now a standard file type.

I didn't realise that; I thought it was done through a plug-in.  No one sends
me .docx, so I wouldn't have any occasion to try it.

> I've only got one gripe with OO Writer;
> it turns on an irritating and unwanted numbering format when you type in
>  numbers such as chapter heading numbers. It then tries to format every
>  paragraph auto-tragically, and by the time I switched it off, it took all
>  the page numbers off too. I think OO is too big and important a step
>  forward to still be indulging in this sort of trickery, badly at that.

Methinks they're trying to mimic MS Office behaviour too much.  This is one of
my pet gripes with Office 2002 (which is the company standard at work).

> I'm sure I'll learn how to get it right, but I shouldn't have to; the
>  convenience of MS Office will be the reason people go on spending money on
>  it.

Actually; going on past performance, I suspect OOo will get it right
eventually.  Remember; they've only being developing it for a fraction of the
time that MS have been developing Office.

> To summarise, IMO OO is close to being a killer. But not quite yet.

It won't be a killer until the enterprise lets go of MS Office.  It's
happening in the educational sector and it's happening in the government
sector, but it will probably need a younger generation of IT staff for it to
happen across the enterprise.

Never under-estimate the resistance to change!

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2010-01-05 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/