Hi Terry,

> Who can swear that Google or Amazon might not have a similar
> catastrophe as the years go by?

I don't see a problem with web apps as long as the user's aware that
they need their own copy of the data in a usable format, and that the
site may fold tomorrow with no notice.  For instance, if I used Gmail as
my mail email client, then I'd look into doing reguarly syncs of the
emails over IMAP back to my storage where they'd be backed up.

But that's not really any different to running a webmail server myself;
I'd still be backing up the data to different places and media, e.g.
Amazon S3 over tarsnap.

    http://www.tarsnap.com/

WRT RAID, it seems the mantra "RAID isn't backup" is becoming more
common now.

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Bournemouth, Wed 2010-02-03 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413