Hi again Terry,

> They build ./run with
>
>     cc -o run run.c
>
> and then do
>
>     ./run
>
> It's taking the place of csh kicking off startloopstop.  If it fails
> then it'll print out execl(3)'s return value, i, which will be -1
> (failure), the numeric value of errno, and what is the normal text
> version of it, e.g. "Permission denied".  That may shed some light.

An easier way, or if they haven't a C compiler, is to use Perl.  I think
Solaris 8 has 5.004 installed.

    $ perl -le 'exec("./startloopstop") or print "failed: $! ", $! + 0'
    failed: Permission denied 13
    $

$! is perl's `errno' value, we print it as a string first, and then as
an integer.

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tue 2010-03-02 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413