On 3 April 2010 13:49, Peter Washington <pugwash1...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 1 April 2010 17:36, Terry Coles <d-...@hadrian-way.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 Apr 2010, Robert Bronsdon wrote:
> >> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:09:58 +0100, Terry Coles <
> d-...@hadrian-way.co.uk>
> whodon't.
> >>
> >> *clearly* those people would spend even more if they weren't downloading
> >> illegally.
> >
> > I'm not sure if you left out the sarcasm tags or whether you really
> believe
> > that.  The theory is that illegal downloading is like payola without the
> > bribes; people download music to see if they like it, they then go out to
> buy
> > the music when they've selected what they want from all the ones that
> they've
> > downloaded.  People who don't illegally download on the other hand, are
> more
> > cautious when buying because they don't know if they will like the music
> or
> > not.
> >
> > If the theory is correct, then I would say that it's the modern
> equivalent of
> > going into the local record shop and asking them to play a record before
> you
> > buy it.
>
> That sounds about right to me Terry, so surely the solution for the
> music industry is obvious ... "Time Limited Downloads".
>
> By this I mean a new file format that plays an embedded MP3, (or
> whatever), and kills / cripples itself after a pre-defined time, say a
> day or a week.  If the user goes on to buy the item online, it should
> be possible to detect somehow that they had downloaded the Time
> Limited version and they could be given a discount on the full version
> as a reward for being legitimate.
>
> That would provide exactly the style of "Try before you Buy" that the
> theory says is happening, and would provide a whole host of new sales
> opportunities for the industry to boot !

Thats essentially what DRM is. As it's already been proven, it is entirely
ineffective. However, if they were free, time limited full songs would be a
nice way of doing publicity and try before you buy. It will never happen
though because the DRM will be broken and everyone knows this.

--
Andrew Montgomery-Hurrell
Professional Geek