On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 21:21 +0100, Terry Coles wrote:
> On Thursday 06 May 2010, Simon O'Riordan wrote:
> >  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004#Working%20around%
> > 20bugs%20in%20the%20new%20kernel%20video%20architecture
> > This workaround alters the startup parameters of the video kernel in the
> > Grub config.
> > When I did it, Cheese started recording properly again.
>
> I saw your post on this earlier, but Cheese worked for me, so I didn't bother
> doing it.  I tried it just now with no effect.  However, there is something
> strange going on here.  At the link you posted, it says:
>
> 'You can also save this setting so that it's applied at every boot by adding
> it to your grub config (for GRUB 2: edit /etc/default/grub and add nomodeset
> to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX, then run sudo update-grub; for GRUB 1: edit
> /boot/grub/menu.lst and add nomodeset  to the line beginning with # kopt=,
> then run sudo update-grub).'
>
> According to KPackagekit, I have GRUB 2, so I went to /etc/default, but there
> was no file called grub.  I went to /boot/grub and added the entry to
> menu.lst
> and ran the script, but there was no change.  So why do I have a GRUB 2
> installation that uses GRUB 1 settings?
>
> --
>               Terry Coles
>               64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

After I had re-installed 9.10 I discovered that I had Grub 2, and I
wanted to get rid of some of the otehr releases that it picked up on the
grub menu. I eventually found this that if I remember rightly helped me
out:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%20Grub%202%20via%20LiveCD

Peter.

Once again I discover that my documentation is not up to scratch.
P.

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-05-11 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413