On 09/05/10 23:29, David Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi
>
> What's the recommend partition layout for a desktop linux system?
> At the moment I use the default on ubuntu of putting everything in  /
> I don't think this wouldn't be ideal in case of needing to reinstall,
> etc so was wondering what people normally use for their partition layout.
>
> Regards
>
> David

David

I'm still 'new' to Linux although all PC's/LTops are Ubuntu (no MS stuff
at all).
Started off as you have done but found it much easier to upgrade now I
have separate /home partition.
Just upgraded the laptop from 9.10 to 10.04, only one hic-cup which
sorted it's self out overnight; all my personal settings were copied
across no problem.
Definitely put /home onto another partition!!

Clive

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-05-11 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413