On 31/05/10 09:13, Simon O'Riordan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 08:57 +0100, Peter Merchant wrote:
>
>> Thanks to everyone for their input. I looked at the reference above to
>> ubuntumanual, which starts with pwmconfig.
>>
>> The results of that are:
>> /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>> pet...@peterm-desktop:~$
>>
>> So I guess I'll have to put up with the noise, or get out the
>> wirecutters.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> hey Peter, maybe you could find a manufacturer's BIOS upgrade for the
> box? I mean short of wirecutters. Or perhaps a good clean would take
> some of the load off the fan because temperatures in the core would be
> lower/fan would meet less resistance?

Or replace the fan with something from QuietPC?

Sometimes the bearings just get knackered with use combined with an
uneven distribution of dust on the blades and as such need replacing.
That said a good clean does cut the noise from my Shuttle's fans
considerably.

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/home

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk

--
Next meeting: C4L and Bournemouth, Wednesday 2010-06-02 19:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413