On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 08:45 +0100, Terry Coles wrote:
> On Friday 06 Aug 2010, Peter Merchant wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 20:43 +0100, Peter Merchant wrote:
> > > What does anyone recommend. I want to backup selected files/directories
> > > from my data disk. Been meaning to do this for months.
> > >
> > > K3B fails with a msioft(?)  module error that is apparently well known
> > > when doing data files,
> > > One of the forums recommended brasero, which takes forever (>4 hours)
> > > calculating  checksums, so I gave up on it.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
>

> > That's copying data files out to DVD by the way.
>
> Hmmm.  I didn't answer this originally, because the last line of Peter's
> message led me to believe that he was looking for a backup utility that was
> designed to write the data to a CD.  Most of the replies so far seem to be
> about the front end data gathering and not the CDRW capability.
>
> For what it's worth, I use Simple Backup Suite, which is in the *buntu
> repositories as sbackup.  It does full backups and incrementals and has
> pretty
> good configuration capabilities.  The only problem is that there is a bug in
> later versions of *buntu, which mean that although you can use the GUI to
> configure the backup, but it has to be started with 'sudo sbackupd' in a
> shell.  It will then write the backup to the defined destination, which I
> guess would have to be on a hard disk initially, but this could easily be
> copied off to a CD later.  (Once you've found a CD writer package that works
> for you.)
Thanks, Terry, but it is this last stage that gives the grief. k3b
collects all the files and folders that I want, but has a -known-
problem when it starts to write to a disk. I have used it before for
cutting ISOs out to disk as distros, and it is fine with that.

Peter

--
Next meeting: Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-09-07 20:00
http://dorset.lug.org.uk/     http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2645413